When checking out, whether at the grocery store or the clothing store, chances are you’ve seen the countertop display with a new, interesting, or useful item for sale. These items are strategically placed where they will be seen, and increase the chance of unsuspecting customers making an impulse purchase.
Most often these displays catch our attention almost immediately, and raises the question, “do I really need this?” Often times the answer is no, but we end up purchasing the item anyway. It is this mindset that needs to be considered when designing a countertop display that will make it nearly impossible for customers to ignore. Below are 5 tips to help you design an irresistible countertop display.
1. Be Distinct: When designing your display, it is important to use enticing graphics that will catch the eye and attention of your customers. Pay attention to the colors that are already in place around the counter, and be sure to select colors for your display that will stand out and not be overlooked. Most costumers will have already picked out and selected what items that are going to purchase by the time they reach the checkout counter. Therefore, it is important to have your small electronic, food, or cosmetic packaging be distinct and stand out from everything else on the counter.
2. Keep it Simple: Having creative signage is the first step to getting customers attention, but there is more. It is important to ensure that your messaging is kept simple; experts recommend that you have no more than 7 words on your display. You want your customers to be able to look at it and know immediately, if they want to make the purchase or not. If your customers have to spend time figuring out what your product is, or the messaging isn’t clear, this could be damaging to your sale.
Chances are if it isn’t an impulse decision to purchase, they won’t purchase it at all. An ideal countertop display will display items that customers may have forgotten to pick up when they were wandering around the store, or a new product that they want to try out. Remember, simplicity is key in designing the right countertop display.
3. Focus on One Display at a Time: Along with creating or designing a display that is simple, it is also recommended to only have one display at a time. Having multiple displays will cause distractions and take consumers attention away from the focal point. The more last-minute items that you throw at a customer waiting in the checkout line, the less likely they are to purchase any of them.
In addition, you are going to want to keep price in mind. The price should not exceed $20, but ultimately should be less than $10. If you have the perfect display of a high-end item, chances are you won’t get any sales as consumers will need to plan for a large purchase, where as they can splurge on a few $10 impulse purchases.
4. Select the Right Merchandise to Display: Not only is it important to stay within the recommended price range to see optimal results, this does not mean that your countertop display should double as a clearance rack. The level of success that you see with your countertop display ultimately depends on the merchandise that you place in them. You want to use this as an opportunity to display items that are low-cost, yet consumers actually want to purchase. If you have items that didn’t sell well when out on the shelves, chances are they won’t sell well as a countertop display either.
5. Change out Your Display: Keep your clientele in mind when you are designing your countertop display. You’ll want to display items that will appeal to the largest audience; select items that are relevant to various age groups and are gender neutral.
Change out your display bi-weekly as this will keep it fresh and continue to grab the attention of your customers. Additionally, repeat customers will be intrigued to see what new items you are selling at the checkout counter. Failing to change out your display will eventually cause your display to blend in, and you could lose out on sales, as customers who are likely to purchase those items probably purchased one when you first put them out on display.
Whether you are considering displaying small electronics, food, toys or other such items, remember the importance of having quality electronic, food, or cosmetic packaging. Be sure to find an item that will bring you the most return on your investment. Contact SouthPack today to get your customized countertop display created by product packing professionals, who know what it takes to get your products noticed and sold!